An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Galta Gelato Italiano Artigianale @ Parco Marina Bay

13 April 2010


Pssst... Let me let you in on a little secret. There's a new gelato haven in town, and while I may not have a commanding voice on gelato per se, this is certainly one of the very best gelati I've ever tried. Galta Gelato at Parco Marina Bay is how I would personally envision the real deal to be like, with the gelato being all rich, milky and creamy. A fantastic model of this would be the Stracciatella (pictured above), which features smooth, creamy milk gelato with tiny chocolate balls for the slightest crunch in every bite.

The other scoop I had, the White Choconut, is a new and unique introduction that Galta claims "is better than sex". I think the combination of white chocolate with coconut is enough to make some of you sweet toothed people out there go weak in the knees. The coconut taste is not exactly over-powering, which makes the overall flavour quite balanced. A must try.

For now, Galto Gelato Italiano at the new Parco Marina Bay is only a takeaway counter, but I can foresee them adding a couple of chairs and tables soon for patrons and converts alike to enjoy their gelato. Look out for the Mizuno section within the mall and you'd find your gelato spot (yeah, eat gelato, and then contemplate exercising) with it's interesting revolving fridge. There's the authentic egg yolk-based custard flavours too, if you're interested ;)

Price
$4.50 for a double scoop.

Place
9 Raffles Boulevard, #P1-08 Parco Marina Bay, Millenia Walk.

Footnote
I definitely have negligible encounters with the real gelato, not till the end of the month at least. Till then, I choose not to think about what it should be like, and instead I'd just focus on enjoying how it tastes :)

Pictures taken with the Canon Ixus 80 IS.

15 Foodie Comments:

HungryTrotters said...

Hmm...mouth-watering...i've never been to Parco Marina Bay...I'll check it out this weekend.

April 13, 2010 at 10:22 PM
*Harris said...

Lots of Japanese eateries there too, not something I would normally go for but you might :) Try the gelato yeah, and do tell me how you find it! I hope I'm not raising expectations sky high but I personally liked the creaminess and milkiness of it all.

April 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM
red fir said...

I like my Stracciatella with chocolate chips, not balls.

April 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM
*Harris said...

Yeap, going Italy for that *drool*

April 13, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Jer Lin said...

I was very tempted to try this out last Friday while at Parco but I had two ice-creams already. Thanks for the review!

April 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM
*Harris said...

You're welcome! :)

I wanna go back too and try other flavours. Better try more because there's a mix of people who agree and disagree with me on Galta on HGW...

April 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Angeline said...

I am definitely interested in the custard flavour! Shall walk there someday to try it out. hehe. Btw, gelato melts pretty fast!

April 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM
*Harris said...

Yeah it does melt pretty quickly. Pretty yummy though :D

April 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM
Sweetdb said...

$4.50 is considered cheap for a double scoop. Can't wait to try

May 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM
*Harris said...

Not too bad, the coconut one is nice, and fits some of the ones I had in Italy :)

May 10, 2010 at 11:16 PM
red fir said...

Remind me to go try soon...

May 21, 2010 at 8:04 AM
amiscell said...

Definitely this is not proper gelato. There is an easy way to tell when gelato is proper without even tasting it. Real gelato is made from milk, cream, egg yolk and sugar. It does not "have memory", or in other words it is not elastic. Try to brush over this ice cream with a spoon, and you will see what I mean. That elastic behaviour of "returning to its previous position" is typical of ice cream that has been enriched with all sorts of agents to make it creamy.
Then again, even if you will go to Italy, unfortunately it is not much different nowadays. My hometown used to be the Italian capital of gelato, and there are only about 4 or 5 gelaterie with the real product left in town.

June 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM
*Harris said...

Hey amiscell, to be honest, I have to agree with you. Galta was nice, but it's really closer to ice-cream and less close to gelato.

Were you from Florence? There were some really good gelato in Florence actually, and I really enjoyed them!

Galta's new stracciatella is worse, it's like a darker cookies and cream :( I do like its sorbets though, especially the raspberry one.

June 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM
amiscell said...

I also agree that it's nice, and I will probably have it again, but my comment was a 'purist' one :)
I am not from Florence. The centre of Italian 'gelato' is my hometown, Belluno, where not by coincidence they annually hold the international gelato exposition (http://www.mostradelgelato.com/). Sad to say, most of the best gelato makers from my hometown went to make money in Germany, where you are most likely to have good gelato. In Italy it's pretty unlikely, these days.
I haven't tried their sorbets, but I will definitely try next time!

June 11, 2010 at 11:21 PM
*Harris said...

Happy eating, you're giving me a gelato craving now!

June 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.