An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Flying with SQ: SIN-PEK, PEK-SIN

16 December 2010


We start off this series of posts on Beijing with my flight onboard Singapore Airlines. Compared to my trip in Italy where I flew alone but traveled with a partner, this time round I was very much on my own. I did think that some independent travelling would do well for me before I get posted overseas in 2012, and to my surprise I realised that I enjoyed it quite a lot actually, much more that I had expected. Of course there were times when I did have the company of my colleague for dinner (she's on attachment at the Singapore Embassy in Beijing), but otherwise it was just me, finding my inner peace and really just taking in all the sights and sounds of a new place. If anything, I would say it was hugely therapeutic.


On the food onboard SQ, I thought it was very unpalatable to be honest. The Roasted Chicken on the SIN-PEK flight was terribly dry and was a chore to even swallow, while the cold bun served on the side could even pass off as rubbery. I opted for the "Muslim" option on the PEK-SIN flight back and got the Baked Salmon, which turned out to be ten times better but not necessarily amazing stuff either. It is in-flight food anyway, so what should I expect right? Still, I would really love to have something more than cold buns, dry chicken or even a sad pack of Khong Guan cream crackers from a multi award-winning airline.


I've noticed that there's two types of SQ travelers - one, the impressionable type who gets a ticket (free or otherwise) and tries to brag, and two, the passionate traveler who wouldn't mind trying out other airlines as part of the travelling experience, so long as the itinerary fits and it gets him to where he's headed. I've been travelling on SQ so much for work anyway that any novelty (if any) has long worn off, and things like the quality of in-flight food and the availability of short transits (to eat more? haha!) actually matter much more to me. The first group of SQ travelers would have you believe the food is stellar under all circumstances; me, I'm just being honest - it was very disappointing.


At least one thing is consistent though - my double shot Bailey's Irish Cream - grin- This has become somewhat of a staple on my flights on SQ, take it as chocolate milk with alcohol if you like. Smooth, creamy and served cold on the rocks, this makes for a perfect drink to ease you into your seat and get you absorbed in a movie or two on Krisworld Movies. If that's not enough, I usually have a small stash of chocolates to keep me sugared up as well ;)

Pictures taken with the Canon EOS 500D.

7 Foodie Comments:

Anonymous said...

you got a cold bun? The warm bun is usually about the only thing I eat.

It also depends where the food was from I think. They have kitchens around the world so it depends on your luck whether the kitchen is good (correct me if I am mistaken!). There was one particular flight where I flew econ class and they served pretty reasonable korean food

On the whole SIA still remains my fav airline because of the other services available as well.

December 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM
*Harris said...

Yeap, you're right on the kitchens bit, but it was my SIN-PEK (Singapore kitchen I believe) flight that had the rubber chicken lol. SIA chefs must be on leave ha.

SIA is like my usual airline... So I kinda trying to find another fav hahaha.

December 19, 2010 at 11:55 PM
HungryTrotters said...

I admired you for travelling alone. I wanted to do that but I'm more used to being around with people. But i hope one day i can do that as well. :)

December 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM
*Harris said...

Travelling alone sometimes is a great experience, it's real quality me-time. Of course I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time because it would get lonely. But once a while like this, it's really awesome :)

December 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM
XinLi29288 said...

agree with the latest comment, it can get very lonely sometimes.

The SQ food looked very disappointing especially the Khong Guan Biscuit. The roasted duck in Beijing must be heaven in comparison.

December 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM
*Harris said...

It's beyond heaven, if we were to compare ;)

December 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM
The Hungry Hippo said...

Completely agree with you on the food. I used to do SIN-PEK about once or twice a month, and the food on that leg is absolutely miserable. The roast chicken was actually one of the better things...I remember they had some pretty weird stuff. The only good thing about the food was the khong guan crackers with cheese (not avail if you take the Asian option). Ultimately there wasn't much to look forward to except the larger screens on the 802 and 805.

January 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.