An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Tiffany Cafe and Restaurant @ Furama City Centre II

22 March 2009


I was here again with my family and Daphne, and even before we arrived I was already talking about how I was hoping that there wouldn't be any greedy people trying to snatch the chilli crabs away from me. So you can imagine how I felt when I realised that there weren't any crabs around, not even on the cold dishes!

Tiffany Cafe isn't known for its variety, but it does try to make up for this with its quality. I gave them a very favourable rating in my previous visit here, but I must admit that yesterday's dinner didn't meet my expectations. If I really had to give a score, it would be a 7, and this is considering that I'm already being generous and giving them a bit of a room for having an off-night. In fact, there aren't that many favourable reviews on this place, and it actually averages a mere 5.8 on the Hungrygowhere forums. It is one out of three Halal hotel buffets in Singapore (very very limited I know), but if you're really looking for quality and variety, I would suggest you go to Carousel instead. I heard that the dinner there is even better than it's already impressive high tea.

Here are some of the pictures of the plates on our table:


Roast beef slices, turkey breast and grilled teriyaki chicken



Grilled teriyaki chicken, roast beef slices, "daging masak merah", black pepper prawns and honey glazed chicken



Fried kway teow, butter dory (with added chilli), stir-fried vegetables, black pepper prawns and mussels



DIY spaghetti, with different choices of pasta and ingredients



Cantonese-style rice with mock meat and sausages




Pastries



Ice-Cream


Here's a list of some of the food on offer:

* Salads
* Mushroom soup
* Sashimi
* Cold dishes - prawns, squids and mussels
* Spaghetti
* Fried Kway Teow
* Daging masak merah
* Butter cream dory
* Roast beef slices
* Black pepper prawns
* Honey glazed chicken
* Grilled teriyaki chicken
* Turkey breast
* Cantonese-style rice with mock meat
* Stir-fried vegetables
* Durian custard or pengat
* Creme brulee
* Assorted pastries
* Chocolate fondue
* Ice-cream

Honestly, the dishes here need revising and the range needs to be extended. Tiffany should realise that it has a potentially sizeable market by being one of the very, very few high-end places that cater to Muslim diners, and it has to do more to attract them rather than see them head to Carousel or Sakura International Buffet. I'd be glad to do another review for them if they're really committed to improve, especially since this blog actually comes up top for a google search on "Tiffany Cafe at Furama"!

Service
You know what I don't like? I don't like walking into a hotel restaurant and be asked, "Ni yao bing shui mah? (Would you like iced water?)" I know I know, it's been on the papers these days about "Speak More Mandarin, Less Dialect". Here's a better suggestion: stop confusing people about taking up Mandarin and being proficient in English as well, focus on the latter. And if you want to take Chinese nationals as your service crew, make sure they speak good English as well.

On a Saturday night, Tiffany Cafe seems understaffed as well, with just about two-three waitresses for the whole restaurant. At Carousel, you've got a staff, sometimes two, to every five tables or so. And it's odd because the Tiffany waiters were also very polite and attentive when I was here previously. Something needs to be done.

Price
$38.80++

15% for Safra card members
20% for Citibank Visa cards

Place
60 Eu Tong Sen Street
2/F Furama City Centre

Additional Comment
Certified Halal.

2 Foodie Comments:

Pearl said...

was that a buffet? cause i'm wondering why people would snatch chili crabs away from you.. :/

March 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM
*Harris said...

Heh yeaps, it was a buffet! Some people stay at the line and just pile their plates while you wait patiently behind them hahaha.

March 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.