An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Spruce

21 January 2010


As I've mentioned before, brunch is starting to be a little habit of indulgence for me, a weekend routine even, but it also explains why I would now look forward to each weekend with such great eagerness. Spruce is definitely one of the "must-go" places for brunch, amongst the other much raved-about places like PS Cafe at Harding, Wild Honey, Epicurious and Riders Cafe. Some food bloggers have conquered them all of course, but I'm still slowly finding my way through this simple, lovely word called brunch.


Something worth waking up to with a big smile on your face yes? I'm feeling hungry all over again just looking at this picture. This brunch at Spruce was with fellow blogger Glenn, whose invite for such a morning delight was something I couldn't possibly miss. Read on to know why.

Beef Sausages and Scrambled Eggs: 4.5/5


Such a pretty sight. This is the Harris' "Spruced-Up Breakfast", my own creation from a mixture of their side orders. I didn't get Spruce's "Big Brekkie" because it has bacon in it, and moreover I was very keen to try out the French Toasts. All I can say is: fantastic decision. Two juicy, tasty sausages to behold, with delicious scrambled eggs as company. Yum, yum, and more yum.

French Toasts: 4/5


When the French Toasts arrived, me and Glenn stared at it in disbelief. I was expecting just two halves of a thick toast, but I got two whole thick toasts instead. For comparison, the toasts pretty much filled up two-thirds of the plate that was the same size as Glenn's "Big Brekkie"!


And with every French Toast, don't forget that divinely sweet maple syrup. I thought this was much better than the ones from Casa Verde, which were smaller, more pricey ($8.50 to Spruce's $5) and not as satisfying somehow.


I'm in love with brunch.

The Spruce Big Brekkie


Of course, if you would prefer something of more variety, The Spruce Big Brekkie would suit you well with the addition of bacon, roasted mushrooms and grilled vegetables. My only problem with this is that you only get one of that awesome beef sausage, and trust me when I say one is definitely not enough to get your morning going. It's not because it's small, but it's because I just like it very much, even if it isn't as heavily-flavoured with black peppers or cheese as some other sausages are. Glenn felt his eggs were a tad overdone though, but I thought mine were done well.

I'm good to go for brunch again at Spruce. I know Angeline is craving for her Eggs Benny, I hear Spruce does an awesome job of it, and I'm looking forward to try their famous burgers too!

Service
Good, but it can be a little difficult to get their attention sometimes on a crowded weekend morning. Reservations are a must!

Price
$16 for the big brekkie
$5 for the french toasts
$4 for each sausage
$4 for two eggs (with a choice of scrambled, poached or sunny side up)

* Prices subject to the usual 7% GST and 10% service charge.

Place
320 Tanglin Road, Phoenix Park.
Two bus-stops away from Redhill MRT Station with SBS Bus 132.

Pictures taken with the Canon EOS 500D.

8 Foodie Comments:

Angeline said...

i can't wait to go to spruceeee
haha

January 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM
*Harris said...

soon soon soon... you pick the date :)

January 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM
HungryEpicurean said...

Lovely photos Harris!

I do want to try the Spruce burger too. I heard from my superior (who we bummed into) said it was great!

Yeah, call me along too! I live so near :D

January 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Sparklette said...

Wow! The food looks good! Hope I'm not sounding like a miserly glutton, but the Spruce Big Brekkie really doesn't look that big after all. Does the set come with coffee/tea?

Hi Glenn! Remember me?

January 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM
*Harris said...

Thanks Glenn, and of course will call you, you can literally jog to Spruce haha.

Hello Veron, you are right it doesn't look much, but Glenn was filled still. Try my Spruced Up Breakfast, guaranteed to make you feel full ;) No accompanying coffee/tea though!

January 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM
coffeechee said...

nice photo
what lens do you use Harris?

January 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM
*Harris said...

thank you "coffeechee" :)

i'm just using the Kit I lens, no add-ons, unless you consider the normal uv filter one haha :)

January 21, 2010 at 11:09 PM
HungryEpicurean said...

Yes Veron! My Favourite web designer back from the Swiftroute days. You designed two of my company's websites, didn't you?

Yes the Big Brekkie wasn't big, but it wasn't small either. And, no coffee/tea.

January 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.