An Introduction

An Introduction
The Simplest Aphrodisiac

Flavours of the Month

Flavours of the Month
Rocks Urban Grill & Bar

Overseas Trips

Overseas Trips
The Reason to Travel

The A List

The A List
Featuring the Best

Cafe Epicurious @ The Rail Mall

28 January 2010


I've always wanted to try the brunch and burger from Epicurious at Robertson Quay, but the thought of travelling all the way there on a Sunday morning usually gets me back under the covers again. So you can imagine my delight when I came across its very first branch at The Rail Mall, and it's also good to know that it serves brunch on weekend mornings as well! As for now it may be a little difficult to spot Cafe Epicurious but look out for that crab claw signboard (belongs to a seafood restaurant Let's Clap) and it's pretty much along the same row of eateries.


It was blazing hot outside at two in the afternoon and I of course took refuge in the cool indoors, but I can imagine how the tables and chairs decked out there would come around with their little space of serenity in the evening. Cafe Epicurious also shares the space with its new joint venture partner Sweet Salty Spicy, a popular Thai eatery that I would definitely try someday.

Mushroom Soup: 4.25/5


I ordered the set lunch that gave me a choice from two soups and four salads, but if you know me well enough I'd say no to greens almost immediately. The mushroom soup however was very good and it certainly beats its more popular counterpart at The Soup Spoon. Creamy, thick and full of little mushroom bits, it's hard not to like this one.

The Epicurious Burger: 4/5


The more burgers you eat, the more you expect from your burgers and the harder it is too to start looking out for the fine differences, but I'll try. The beef patty from Cafe Epicurious narrowly edges out the ones from The Handburger and Riders Cafe, though for its price I would think that I deserve at least a fried egg on top.


I'm quite aware that Epicurious scours the web for online reviews about it, and I'm curious to know how fast it will reach this post. My feedback on the burger is almost the same like some of my peers, who mentioned that the beef patty can get a little "crumbly" at times, the way it tends to fall off chunk by chunk each time I make a decisive pierce into it (the more well-packed patties would include those from Dallas Restaurant and Seah Street Deli). Surprisingly it still managed to retain its juiciness and I enjoyed the hint of herbs and spices too. So yes, burger craving satisfied.

White Chocolate Cheesecake: 4.75/5


I was so full from the soup and burger and I was thinking how in the world could I fit in dessert as well. Yet I definitely won't say no to something like white chocolate cheesecake, and oh boy, this was heavenly indeed. A fuller description would be white chocolate, mascarpone and raspberry cheesecake, and I just loved the way how all the different flavours wrapped themselves around something that looks so simple. Rich, thick and creamy, this is my kind of cheesecake.

Service
Excellent. The staff here are very friendly and I also met one of the co-owners of Epicurious, Sharon, who did seem quite concerned at first seeing me take picture after picture of my food. I'm excited to hear that they have plans to liven up The Rail Mall scene, but of course I'll leave it to them to announce it when it's all ready :)

Price
$18++ for the set lunch
(I think the burger costs around $17-$18 if you order it on its own!)

Place
392 The Rail Mall, Upper Bukit Timah Road.

Pictures taken with the Canon EOS 500D.

11 Foodie Comments:

muchadoabouteating said...

I didn't know cafe epicurious has reach the west! The cheesecake looks great. Thanks for bloging about it :)

January 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM
red fir said...

"I definitely won't say no to something like white chocolate cheesecake." T.O.O.

"this is my kind of cheesecake." T.O.O.

January 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM
Daniel said...

Hmm.. my mushroom soup at the robertson quay outlet fared worse than Soup Spoon though. Very earthy mushroom but very watered down.

January 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM
*Harris said...

PY: It's quite new, barely two months I think. Are you a westie too? :)

Ice: I hope you will like the cheesecake T.O.O ;) This cheesecake is of the thicker, more "compact" type, I know people have different preferences when it comes to cheesecakes...

Daniel: Yeah? This one was thick enough!

January 28, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Angeline said...

is the white chocolate cheesecake melt-in-the-mouth kind? haha

January 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM
*Harris said...

no, its harder and thicker than the softer ones :)

January 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Angeline said...

ooo. icic. So i guess its quite similar to checkers' cheesecake then. Rich and thick.

January 29, 2010 at 10:41 AM
Hui Yuan said...

you're first to blog abt cafe epicurious! Lost to u...

January 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM
*Harris said...

Haha I told you on the bus ride to Halia that I was headed for Cafe Epicurious the following Tuesday :)

Anyway, someone posted it on your hgw earlier than both of us, even when i blogged bout it earlier hahaha.

Oh well, just to share my blog eats :)

January 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM
Hui Yuan said...

At least u are still the 1st to post it(earlier than us, the food bloggers).

Anyway i would visit them soon!

January 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM
*Harris said...

yeap, try the cheesecake quite good. the rest of the cakes displayed outside don't look thaaaaat appetising, but just by looks.

January 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·*the simplest aphrodisiac by TNB | Official Singapore Food Blog.